Energy Assistance Program
Columbia Gas of Kentucky's Energy Assistance Program (EAP), administered by the Community Action Council, is designed to supplement the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and other forms of assistance available for qualified low-income customers.
How does the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) work?
EAP works by providing participants with a subsidy each month of the winter heating season (November 1- March 31). The subsidy is credited to the participant's Columbia Gas account each month. The amount credited to the participant is a set amount for the heating season, but a greater amount is credited during the colder winter months than in the warmer months of the heating season.
After the subsidy has been credited to a customer's account, the customer will be responsible for the remaining balance in full. If the credit exceeds the balance due at billing, the credit will carry forward to the next month's bill. For complete program details, contact your local Community Action agency.
Who qualifies for EAP?
To qualify for the EAP program, participants must be active Columbia Gas of Kentucky customers whose household income is at or below 130 percent of the federal poverty level guidelines. Participants must agree to have their income verified upon beginning in the program and re-verified each year for are-entry into the program.
In addition, EAP participants must:
- Apply for LIHEAP and direct the subsidy to Columbia Gas of Kentucky
- Apply for and accept weatherization services where available
- Sign a written agreement for the exchange of necessary information between Columbia Gas of Kentucky and the Community Action Council
- Sign a release from liability form provided by Columbia Gas of Kentucky
- Provide Columbia Gas to have access to the gas meter for regularly scheduled meter readings
How to apply for EAP
Contact your local Community Action agency to enroll in the Energy Assistance Program. The number of participants is limited, so call or visit your local Community Action agency as soon as possible to take advantage of this valuable program.