Columbia Gas of Kentucky will resume service line replacement work on Monday, May 18, under the Kentucky Healthy at Work Phase 1 guidelines.
Our company provides an essential service and is permitted to continue operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have prioritized work that is considered essential for safety and system integrity, and our pipeline upgrade projects are critical to reducing risk and enhancing the safety and reliability of our system.
We suspended service line installations in March but continued work on main lines in neighborhoods included in these projects. Starting Monday, we begin contacting impacted customers to make appointments to install service lines that will connect the new main line to the meters at each home or business.
This work will require our techs to enter customer homes, and we have taken proactive steps to implement additional safety precautions. Employees will follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations and the Kentucky Healthy at Work Phase I reopening guidelines, including:
- Performing temperature checks at the start of each work day
- Washing their hands with soap and water or using hand sanitizer
- Practicing social distancing where practicable (maintaining six feet from others). We ask that you help keep our teams safe and also maintain six feet of distance from our employees.
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for the situation and the job.
- Avoiding touching their face, eyes, nose or mouth, handshaking and any other physical contact
- Using disinfectant wipes on surfaces where they are working
- Minimizing time spent inside to what is needed to accomplish the task
Pipeline replacement work will take place Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., though some weekend and evening work may be necessary to accommodate customer appointments. Please use extreme caution in and around our work zone. Expect traffic disruptions and sidewalk closures. Please obey flaggers and all posted signage. Keep children away from construction equipment.
All workers carry photo ID which clearly identifies them as a Columbia Gas employee or contractor. We encourage you to ask for identification before allowing anyone into your home. You may also call us at 1-800-432-9345 to have a representative verify the identity of the employee.
Customers with questions or concerns can call the Columbia Gas Pipeline Replacement Hotline at 1-800-562-8970, Option 3, Ext. 6355 or send an email to email@example.com.
For a listing of current pipeline replacement projects, click here.
For more about our COVID-19 response, click here.